Jellies Are Taking Over!
Social Relevant Issue
Jellyfish are classified in the kingdom: Animalia, phylum: Cnidaria and subphylum: Medusozoa. They are grouped into three categories; Scyphozoa which are true jellyfish, Cubozoa which are box jellyfish and Staurozoa which are stalked jellyfish. They have an umbrella-shaped body and long tentacles that extend from their body. Their bodies can expand and contract with strong regular movement to move around in the water and their tentacles are used to capture prey or defend against predators by releasing toxins in a painful sting.
The process of birth is beautiful and produces life. The largest number of babies that have been carried in the human body was fifteen, while seven is the largest set of children to be born together and survive. However, there’s no scientific limit on how many kids you can have, and this is very true for jellies. There are thousands of species that fall under the term jellyfish because of their similarity in body structure and reproductive system. Their bodies are made up of 95% water and the other 5%, their basic essentials needed to survive. When jellyfish blooms, it is both beautiful and out of control. Jellyfish can reproduce rapidly under favorable conditions and lay up to 45,000 eggs each day. In Japan, jellies are a problem, during blooming season, the seas of Japan are filled with over 500 million jellyfish. In the early twenty-first century in Japan, there has been blooms of massive Nomura’s jellyfish annually (before jellyfish blooms use to occur once every forty years). Therefore, the abundance of them is overwhelming, they clog fishing nets, and affect the fish population. In Sweden, they have clogged power plants and have forced a few beaches to close due to the overpopulation of them.
So, why not kill them?
It is not impossible to kill jellies, but killing them will only make matters worst. When a jellyfish is killed, they lay millions of eggs and they never stop growing. In recent years, many people had concluded that human activities influencing the global temperature was linked to the increasing amount of jellyfish. Nonetheless, a task force of international jellyfish experts has concluded that jellies are too difficult to study and proposed that other elements also played some part in the growing population. Last, no solution has been proposed to solve this problem. It will probably take about 10 more years before scientists fully understand jellies and why this is happening. Still, the jellyfish population continues to grow in size each year and can cause more severe problems in the future.
Environmental Factors that Influence Jellyfish Bloom
Many environmental factors influence jellyfish blooms; physiological structure and life history have shown to have a close contact with jellyfish blooms. Jellies have very beneficial characteristics that enable them to tolerate harsh environments; simple body structure, rapid growth, and thriving reproduction. Temperature fluctuations of seawater is a major environmental factor that participates in influencing jellyfish blooms. Jellyfish blooms are more favorable in warmer temperature due to increase food availability; this increases jellyfish reproduction. But, other environmental factors like eutrophication, climate change, overfishing, and habitat modification have all contributed in some way for the increasing population of jellyfish.
MARCH 29, 2017. THE GLOBAL JELLYFISH CRISIS IN PERSPECTIVE. https://daily.jstor.org/global-jellyfish-crisis perspective/ By Christopher Beam. JAN. 27, 2009. Womb for More. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2009/01/womb_for_more.html By 22 Interesting Facts About Jellyfish. http://factspy.net/22-interesting-facts-about-jellyfish/ By STEPHANIE WATSON.How Jellyfish Work. http://animals.howstuffworks.com/marine-life/jellyfish.htm By Qu CF, Song JM & Li N. Dec. 25, 2014. Causes of jellyfish blooms and their influence on marine environment. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25876425.